Friday, November 21, 2008

The value of neighbors...

Today, I bought 50 pounds of chicken feed with one dollar bills. We have been selling eggs to neighbors almost daily. Some days I have to steal the eggs right out from under the hens. They're super cheap at $3 per dozen. Folks bring their own containers so I don't have to worry about stock piling anything. I could sell them for twice that amount, but this is paying for chicken feed and keeping us from "having" to eat eggs 3 times a day. It works.

I've even had a complete stranger or two knock on the door for eggs. Nice.

We're headed out of town for a couple of days soon and will need someone to let the girls in and out. Usually, our closest neighbor does it but she's been swamped lately so I'm thinking of asking the 10 year old girl up the street. The question is, can she handle it if something gets eaten??? What if she arrives in the morning and there's a mutilated chicken body on the lawn? I better give it some more thought.

For now, the "house" chickens are having some free time wandering the boys' room and I'm off to work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's what I do! Around here $3/dozen for eggs isn't cheap, but it's not expensive either. Especially for what they're getting. I'm able to more than cover the cost of the feed by selling a dozen eggs per week. That left plenty of eggs for us. And I get all the manure for our garden too. A small flock of backyard layers is just such a great set up.

Kate said...

Trish, long time, no hear! Hope your holidays are going well.

In other news, Tag! You're it! I'm tagging you with a Bookworm Award. Details here:

http://livingthefrugallife.blogspot.com/2008/12/news-items.html

-Kate