Wednesday, November 5, 2008

trees come and go

I planted a tree today. We've had a fig tree in a terra cotta pot for a few years now. I've seen so many fig trees in the ground trying to take over the world so I was quite hesitant to give ours that kind of power. It was ready for a bigger space though and I didn't really want to spend the money on a super huge pot just to get 20 figs a year. I killed a dianthus in front of the shed this Summer when I refused to water flowers for a while. It is the perfect space for a small, manicured tree. I decided that the fig could live there but that it would be subjected to vigorous pruning if it got cocky.
I also bought a new Bartlet pear. This is the third and final pear I'll buy. Our little pocket gopher seems to really enjoy pear roots. I'll buy a heavy duty gopher basket and plant this one in the West garden among the cutting flowers and bee hives.

The parcel behind us was purchased recently. It was on the market for $375. I don't know what it sold for but I do know that the new owner demolished the house last week. this week, he removed all but 2 trees, a little oak and a gorgeous magnolia. He removed 2 big (80 feet or more) conifers which provided my only shade. Sadly, the chicken yard I just built was based on our chickens love of that shady corner of the garden. The neighbor has offered to buy us a new tree. We can't decide what kind of tree.

At first, I ruled out anything food producing. This new tree will hang over Jonathans last patch of pretty grass and I don't want to be out there picking up gooey peaches or finger ruining walnuts all of the time. We decided that the chickens might do better with a deciduous tree so that their yard gets some light during the rainy season and is a little less soggy in the Winter. Off we went to the Urban Tree Farm....This place is great. They have tree experts who take you out on a little electric cart. They ask all of the important questions: location, soil, size, etc. And then they drive you around pointing out trees that would be suitable. We did this but didn't fall in love with anything. One of our biggest concerns is that the tree not be so big as to infringe upon the food growing portions of the garden. On the other hand, We want it to grow quickly so that our grass doesn't die this Summer and the chickens don't swelter.

Not being able to agree on nonfruiting, I've decided to look into nut trees. Jonathan has promised that he'll pick them out of the grass, we'll see. Since no one in the house enjoys walnuts, I'm reading about almonds. Hopefully, we'll both find a variety that suits us and be able to find a nursery carrying that variety.

No comments: