Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Feeling exotic

They say one of the first things we'll miss when global commerce slows down is the bananas. They have become one of the "everyday" fruits for so many. They sit in fruit dishes along side apples and oranges as if they are nothing special. Let's not forget how precious oranges once were and that, in these parts, locally grown apples have become increasingly special. My local landscape was once covered in apple trees and cows. Now we have grapes and houses. Anyway, we have 2 apples trees espaliered in the back garden and that should be plenty. We've got a few different citrus trees but should add an orange. But what of the now ordinary banana? Prices are rising. Sure, we can bring them from Central America and then as Winter grows cooler, South America but can we grow our own???

I found a website www.bananas.org filled with "yes" men. It turns out that I can grow bananas in Northern California. They won't taste just like those Chicitas and they may take more effort but I bet they'll be worth it. I even found a super nice guy who's found a variety that may work right here in my microclimate...AND he's willing to share! He offered to give me a pup (a sprout). It has to be indoors or in a greenhouse for the Winter and then hopefully it'll grow big enough to produce during the Summer months.

With the 2 kiwi vines I intend to purchase when bareroot season arrives, I may as well call this a little slice of Chile. I better break out the bikini and the rum!

No comments: