Friday, September 12, 2008

Where should all the money go?

Shop local or go to Home Depot and grab a snack at Costco? Well, this is an interesting philosophical dilemma. I like to support the folks in my community but I like to be able to afford to live in my community. I want to keep businesses nearby but I like to be home, and not off in an office somewhere, when my boy gets home from school. I want to make projects and I want to get everything I need in one place. Apparently, I have the wantsies.

Recently, I wanted to make a cookie bouquet for my boys first school concert. I needed an inexpensive terracotta pot, some lollipop sticks, cookie ingredients, spray adhesive, and a big round of foam. I found the cookie ingredients at Safeway. Yes, I could have gone to Whole Paycheck but I don't have a sugar daddy. Plus, how is Whole Paycheck any better than Safeway? I went to the hardware store for the spray adhesive and terracotta pot. I bought a pot but it was much larger than what I wanted because the selection was kinda sad. I drove all over town looking for the foam ball and found none. I had to buy the lollipop sticks at a specialty store 1 town over. I really tried to shop local and support the little guy. The little guy didn’t have everything I needed. I wasted a lot of time and gas looking and in the end, I paid 30% more than I would have if I had driven straight to Walmart.
Also, I recently wanted one of those galvanized metal troughs. I happened to be at the big feed store in the next town over and asked about them there. They were out of them so I stopped at a Ranch supply on my way home. They were $10 more there, I didn’t buy one. I zipped past home and went to the local Ace hardware. They had them there for a full $30 more than the feed store. Where do you think I bought one? Why must things be 30% more expensive in town? I know. Rents are a bit higher and they don’t buy in the same volume.
So, what about the big feed store compared to the little feed store? The big feed store in the next town has everything we need for the furballs, the bees, and the chickens. Plus they have a great selection and even little 5 pound bags of chick starter. There’s a smaller feed store in my town but they don’t have the same selection. They have only a 20 pound bag of chick food which will not be used quickly enough to retain its vitamin content. They don't carry anything for beekeeping. Jonathan can stop at the big feed store on his way home from work so gas is not an issue. Both stores are locally owned. Both employ local people. One employs more local people than the other. Is there any difference in shopping at one or the other? I don’t really think so.
But then, what about the bigger guys like local chains? What of the locally owned hardware stores? Ace which is simply a locally owned franchise, the huge Friedman Brothers, or Yardbirds which had many local stores (before they sold to Home Depot).
Is it more responsible to shop at one or the other? If I have to pay 30% more at Ace then I won’t be able to build as many raised beds or tomato cages, which means I won’t have as much food to eat. I could shop at Friedman and often do because it’s huge, they have great service and they don’t always look at me funny when I ask for things like rebar for a teepee. Sadly, they are a bit out of my way. Lowes and Home Depot are right on my path to other things like Trader Joes. I like Lowes better and often choose it. Is it bad to support the big chain? Wasn’t it once a single store? Shouldn’t we be celebrating Mr. Lowe for being such a great businessman and smacking his name on huge home improvement warehouses all over the country? Afterall, he employs hundreds of people in each location and is probably able to offer some pretty great benefits because his company is so large. Or should we be celebrating Mr. Ace for talking a bunch of other guys into paying him to be part of his big purchase to get a better price? -This reminds me of co-op shopping. Each household orders what they want. They pay less because of the large quantities. It all arrives and is divided up.- Or do we take pity on the little guy who can only afford to buy a few at a time and must pass on his lack of savings to the consumer?

I guess, for me, I try to support local people doing great work. That means choosing businesses that treat their local employees well. Not just businesses who's owners live in town. I am picky about who I give my money to and want to choose businesses run by honest people who choose to act with integrity. I don't always have that information but will behave accordingly if I am aware of a lack of integrity. Bottom line, I shop where I can afford (financially and emotionally)to shop. Living in beautiful California is expensive and we do our best. Our family is slowly moving toward buying less altogether and shopping in the garden and the pantry more. We are building relationships with other farmers, citified and countrified. We hope to spend less time in the car and more time doing so very may other things. This works for us.

What about farmers markets? Are all those fruits and veggies local? Or did they drive 5 hours to get to you? Ever wonder where all the peaches that aren't perfect enough for the restaurants go and whether or not they're worth $3 per pound? Check out your "local" farmers market. I find great local stuff at the market and great far away stuff and stuff that is so much more expensive than I think it should be. For me, I think I'll dig up some more grass and shop in the garden. Each farmer's market is different and you should do the research for yourself.

What about buying American? That’s another discussion entirely.

No comments: