Tuesday, September 16, 2008

We did it, meat all around!

We got really excited about meat. Truthfully, I got really into the idea of shopping from the kitchen and not wandering the aisle at Safeway or Trader Joes or standing at the butcher counter at Fiesta. I hate standing there, trying to figure out not only what protein is for dinner but what cut and how to prepare it and then to have to figure out if what you're buying is healthy for you or raised responsibly or killed without terror or or or. All the while considering cost. It makes me a little crazy. Especially when I'm pressed for time, which is just about always. I've been working at 2 different restaurants lately which means that with a little planning, I can afford to buy all the meat I want.

I did the research. I purchased a quarter of a steer from Freestone Ranch and a whole 120 pound hog from Gleason Ranch. Gleason Ranch is interesting in that they have containers set up in the kitchens of a number of local restaurants. Chefs and prep cooks put all of their mis en place trimmings into these containers to feed the pigs. These pigs are getting a great variety of organic produce and grains and bread. Gleason Ranch is recycling and feeding their livestock at the same time. Plus, this allows them to offer a really reasonable price. I've committed to a 120 pound hog at $1.40 per pound (live weight). I'll pay the executioner $30 and then pay the butcher about $.75 per pound for his work. I had a very funny conversation with Ryan at Willowside meats. He walked me through all of my options. I chose 3/4 inch chops and plenty of roasts for carnitas. My only disappointment is that you can only choose one kind of sausage. They won't do half Italian and half maple breakfast. I chose Italian thinking that we'll just go with bacon for breakfast and the Italian will be the most versatile for dinners and lunches.

We bought an 8.8 cubic chest freezer and are awaiting the call from the butcher.

Now, I don't have to worry about which grocery I'm at and where they buy their meat and how far it traveled to get here and what it ate while it was alive and how the rancher treats his land, etc etc etc. This means a clearer head for me. I could use a little extra space in there.

No comments: