Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Good Day

It's been a really nice day on the farm today. Yesterday we were all freezing our knickers off when the temp dropped into the 50's from the 90's. Today, it's a normal California day with mellow sun and a gentle breeze.

Amelia Redheart, one of our CaliWhites, laid her first little white egg. I rewarded her with first dibs on the Boys leftover lunchbox innards. She and her sister are supposed to be very prolific layers as they are some sort of Leghorn cross. That's pronounced Leggern for those of you who don't speak barnyard.

I harvested a bunch of corn today. I ate 2 small ears raw with some leftover peach and blueberry tart. Ah, nothing like straight sugar for lunch. If you've only had corn from the grocery, you probably can't imagine eating it raw. Well, let me tell you, fresh garden corn is like crunchy, juicy, candy. It's incredible! You should grow some just to taste the difference. I husked the rest, tossing the silks and all into the chicken pen. There was a silly chicken frenzy, they love corn! I carefully cut all the beautiful kernels off and tossed them into a bag and into the freezer for later. We still have some corn that's not quite ripe yet. I noticed a small pollination problem at the tops of the ears. I've never planted so much corn before and I think I left too much space between my three rows. Next year, I'll do a more dense planting.

Years ago, when I planted my first six pack of corn seedlings, a friend told me that she never grows corn because of all the bugs. Knock on wood. I've never had a real problem with bugs in my corn. I have the occasional earwig which I toss to the girls but that's it. Maybe I've been lucky, I dunno.

Now I need to go pull all the weeds that have been hiding in the corn field and toss those to my girls as well.

We'll be making Pesto with garden basil today and picking up some free Quince fruit. The end of Summer is always so yummy!

No comments: