Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Quick, turn that fruit into food!



More than a week ago, we bought some peaches. We don't normally buy a lot of fruit. We buy bananas and for now we buy Kiwi Fruit (next year, hopefully, we pick it from the garden). But, I saw an ad on Craig's List for organic peaches for $.50 per pound. My boys LOVE peach jam and we didn't get very many peaches on our new peach tree thanks mostly to the little dog and his chewing phase. So, I sent Jonathan off to buy 20 lbs. $10, great deal!
Well, we've been really busy and those peaches have been sitting on a sheet pan for a while. The hens have enjoyed quite a few bruised and spoiling ones. Last night, before Bee Club, Jonathan finally had some time to make some jam. Here's what he got from what was left of the 20 pounds. He calls it Heaven in a jar. Cost to make:
10 fruit
8 jars
5 sugar and pectin
$23 for 17 jars of jam, not bad.



I swiped a few of the peaches and while the Boy was building a pizza on Trader Joes crust, I tossed together a rustic tart. I had some pie crust left over from making chicken pot pies last week. I rolled it out, hacked up the peaches, skin and all, and added a whole mess of blueberries which had gotten a bit too squishy for morning parfait. I covered the whole thing with a makeshift struesel topping of butter, brown sugar, white sugar and toasted almonds. Into the oven for about 40 minutes. It's not the prettiest thing but it sure is Summer on a plate. It was made even better with a scoop of organic vanilla ice cream.

In the above process, Jonathan learned first hand about cling verses freestone peaches. He asked me what freestone meant just last week and now he REALLY knows. He made me promise never to plant a cling peach no matter how yummy it is touted to be!

No comments: