Friday, January 9, 2009

Warm in the Sun

I moved some trees today. It's warm out, so warm. We're talking pants and a tank top warm! It felt incredible and I wish I had all day to devote to the garden. I even just sat on my favorite rock and had a snack. It was perfect.
I potted a dwarf peach which is in the way of a new path I want to build. I dug up a blackberry which has never been happy. I hope to find a new berry spot and plant some raspberries this year. I planted a lime which has been rootbound in a pot for a few years. I pruned the espaliered apples, the kumquat, the lemon, the lime. I planted a bartlet and moved the bing cherry and the asian pear closer to the porch. These three are in the narrow West garden near the bees and I decided to move them a little closer to the porch and prune them a bit more like fence trees so that they can be harvested from the porch with less risk of bee sting. The boy got the first one of the year last week!
Regarding the bees: It looks like we have one really happy and thriving hive and one not so happy. Jonathan suspected this would happen based on the way the hives looked in the Fall. The good news is that he can split the thriving colony to rebuild the sad one. I think we'll have to order a queen though. How weird is that? Ordering a queen bee? Wow, farming sure is strange.

No comments: