Friday, October 3, 2008

Good Trades


Today we traded figs for eggs. We have a fig tree but it's outgrown it's pot and didn't produce very well this year. Jonathan has been craving fig jam and there just happened to be an ad on Craig's List. The poster said she would trade 2 pounds of figs for 1 dozen farm eggs. Our girls have been producing pretty well lately so we had 2 dozen to spare. Somehow, Jonathan only came home with 3 pounds of figs. She obviously didn't weigh them. Nonetheless, we'll have some great jam in a few days and we couldn't have eaten all of those eggs anyway.
I love to barter, it always feels like I'm getting something for free and then doing something nice for someone.

I brought 2 little kittens home from the shelter today. They are only 4 weeks old and will spend the next month or so hanging out with us. They're scared and tiny and desperately need a bath. This is one of the ways we are charitable. We find it feels good to help these poor little critters who are only suffering because people are so stupid. They come to the shelter from all sorts of terrible places, orchards, vineyards, car washes, fast food drive-thrus, gutters, etc. People, please spay and neuter. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two things: I'm really jealous of the figs. Along with avocados, figs are one of the few things I do miss about eating locally in my area. We'll need another hefty dose of global warming before figs will grow well in my area.

Second, you said, "from all sorts of terrible places, orchards, vineyards, car washes, fast food drive-thrus, gutters." I know what you mean, but only three of those places sound really terrible. If I were a cat, and orchard or a vineyard wouldn't look so bad to me. Probably lots of little critters to chase and eat in those places. Those are cute kittens, even all wet from the bath.